May 3, 2013

What if the 10 commandments weren't God-related?

As I was lucky enough to have been born in a secular country with non-believing parents, I was free to think whatever I wanted.
I'm very well aware that not everyone is as lucky, sadly, but I strongly believe all religions are losing a lot of their fans and that's, for me, a positive thing for our future generation(s).

Now this being said, let's commence this post.


Since my young age I've been taught to be good, not because I would be sent to hell if I wasn't, but because it's just a basic and logical way of living.
And if there are others out there like me, you sometimes struggle with what you limit yourself to, how to separate good from bad.
While lots of religious people need to look in their Books to find answers to their questions, non-believers need to seek their answers elsewhere. Some find their way, others don't.

That's the reason I think there should be a guidebook for non-believers, but just guidelines, nothing mandatory, as freedom of choice is -to me- a key-point in a non-believers life.
On the other hand, I'm convinced people need authority, limits must be set by some sort of laws, to prevent (for example) killing each other for no reason.



Another key-point for me is free-thought and one of my favorite quotes since my childhood about this subject is one that was on a poster in my Ethics classroom, from PoincarrĂ©:

“Thinking must never submit itself, neither to a dogma, nor to a party, nor to a passion, nor to an interest, nor to a preconceived idea, nor to whatever it may be, if not to facts themselves, because, for it, to submit would be to cease to be.”
My interpretation of this quote is that thinking shouldn't be a privilege, but a common necessity to all.
If you want to read more about free thoughts, read this.


Finally, the reason that made me write this post, is "My Ten Commandments" from Bertrand Russel.
His first amendment Don't lie to yourself is to me the most important, if you'd follow only one of his amendments, this should be the one.
I cannot count the number of times friends and myself included would have done less stupid things and hurt less people if we wouldn't lie to ourselves...


If there should be a guidebook for non-believers, than this would be its Ten Commandments.


Lastly, I want to thank my Ethics teacher, who didn't teach us, but let us discover how to think.